all day on the boat

Our first full day at sea. Cruising along at full speed still trying to make up time.

With nothing to do, I woke up bright and early around 7. After lying there for about a half an hour, I decided to get up. I’d packed my exercise clothes, I figured I’d put them to good use. So I told Bill I was going on a walk and headed up to the top deck. There were a few other early birds, but not many. I wasn’t interested in joining them in jogging; I walked a decent pace around the deck. It was beautiful blue skies and blue sea as far as you could see.

Around 8:30 I figured Bill and Kaitlyn had to be awake (and I’d managed to give myself a blister) so I went back to get them. From the deck where I was walking I could see that there was almost nobody at the breakfast buffet. So I told them to toss on some clothes, brush their teeth and put on shoes, we were beating the crowd to eat. It worked. The food was good, there was a good selection. We had a good seat right by a window. Kaitlyn begged to go to kids club when she finished, so we took her up there.

After Bill and I had showered, we went to get her. I’m really afraid that if she spends every possible minute in Kids Club she’ll be too exhausted at the end of the day. So we got her and went to play putt putt. She’s getting slightly better at it, but she’s still no threat to anyone on the PGA tour.

I completely forgot there was family bingo, or I’d have dragged her to that next. Instead she begged Bill to take her swimming while I went to the talk on what to do in our upcoming ports. (We don’t have any excursion planned for Sardinia, so I wanted to see what they’d suggest.) It’s warm but not hot outside and the pool is freezing, so Bill took her to the indoor pool. It’s supposed to be for adults only, but there were several kids in there. They were all being well behaved. I’m sure someone will complain about it later, but it worked for today. We finally dragged her out of the pool with a promise of ice cream after lunch. She nearly fell asleep at the table. So then we dragged her back to our room for a nap. I felt guilty leaving to go to the water color class I wanted to attend, since I’d already gone walking and to the shopping lecture. I tried reading but fell asleep.

After her bath, we took Kaitlyn back to the kids club while we went to a wine tasting. It was interesting. I don’t know how much I learned, but it was still fun. It would have been more fun if I hadn’t kept worrying about getting to pick Kaitlyn up on time. When I picked her up, I said we’d see them in a little while at the special kids dinner. Tonight is formal night, so they have a dinner you can send your kid to instead of dragging them to a fancy meal. Then I again forgot about the family activity they had and we went to play ping pong. Kaitlyn is better at it than I expected but it’s not like you can play an actual game with her or anything. At two minutes before 6, Bill took her up to the Kids Club to drop her off for the dinner while I went back to the stateroom to get ready for our dinner. He called and said no one was at the kids club. I called customer service and they tried paging the kids club manager but he (or she) never answered. After about 20 minutes, I could hear Kaitlyn crying as they walked down the hall to our room. Bill was furious; Kaitlyn was terribly upset. I finally got her calmed down by reminding her that she’d brought a special dress up dress for the fancy dinner. I don’t remember what it took for Bill to calm down.

After Kaitlyn ate her shrimp (which had to have been better than the hot dog she’d have gotten at the other dinner) I took her up to the Kids Club. I was sure Bill would yell at someone and she’d be banned for the week. They apologized and said we were supposed to take her right to the snack place by the indoor pool. I think it ended up working out better. I don’t know if Bill agrees.

We skipped the show tonight. It’s some singers. I’m holding out for a comedian or magician. We went to one of the bars that doesn’t really have much going on until 11.. so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. We sat and talked with another couple and with the bartender. It was a really nice evening… and a really nice day.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.